Weight Loss Tracker

Monday, July 30, 2012

Traumatic Event and Binging

I've had a horrible weekend and the trauma of it all made me fall off the wagon. I decided to go for a mind clearing bike ride on Saturday morning. It was a nice ride, almost 20 miles. The last mile or so, the weather turned fierce and it started pouring. So I got a little wet. It was actually refreshing, at first. Then it got to raining so hard that I couldn't even see. I found a bus shelter and, literally, had to push myself into the corner of it to avoid the sideways rain. A lot of good it did. There was so much puddling even after that short time, that every time a car when by, it shot a wave of water my way. I was so close to home and figured what the heck. So I went on my way. When I got to the intersection where I needed to cross the street, I waited for the lights to turn red and all traffic stopped. As I started across the street (in the crosswalk), the vehicle in the lane closest to me, punched it and was going to make a right turn. Well....he hit me. I rolled up onto the hood of his car, coming face to face with him through his windshield. He slammed on the brakes and I rolled back off the hood onto the rain-soaked street. People say your life flashes before your eyes. Well, it's true. As I lay on the street, with the bumper of the SUV at eye level. It did. I was just trying to get to my feet as quickly as possible. My leg was injured and my back hurt. He got out of his car, helped me up and apologized profusely. He kept asking me if I was okay. NO I kept telling him. He moved his car to the gas station on the corner of the intersection and then ran back to help me over there, because it was still raining.

When I got to the gas station, I went for my phone that was in the bike pack. The screen was smashed. The guy who hit me asked me what I was going to do. I said, "Call 911". As I'm trying to get my phone dried so that I can try to use it, the guy starts to pull away. I'm thinking, no he isn't!!!!
So I was ready to get the tag number. He had taken the tag off of his car and took off out of the gas station parking lot. So now, not only am I hurt and scared, I'm mad. How do you hit someone on a bike and just take off.
Luckily, when I called 911, I was able to give them a description of the vehicle and the direction of travel.
3 police cars, a fire truck and a rescue truck show up. (I work for the fire department, these were my coworkers). The rescue got me some ice and a dry towel (remember, I am still soaked from my bike ride and spill into a puddle on the street).
I told the police officers what happened and they looked up to see 2 video cameras on the roof of the gas station.
They were able to see the vehicle and hopefully, they will be able to get a tag number.

Anyway, the rescue truck wanted to take me to the emergency room, but I just wanted to go home. So they brought me and my broken bike home, but told me if I started feeling worse, to call them and they would take me to the hospital.

After the adrenaline of the event wore off, I was feeling the pain. I took myself to the urgent care. They gave me something for pain and took some xrays of my leg and back. The diagnosis, multiple contusions and 2 compressed vertebrae. Great!. They nt me home with some medication, which took, but hate the way it makes me feel.

This morning I wake up to muscle spasm in my back and cramping in the quadracep muscle of my left leg.

The bottom line is......this traumatic event definitely pushed me into an eating binge. I don't know why I did it. Just my way of coping.

I'm upset for several reasons. I could have died that day. My bike is out of commision for my rides. I have to get a new phone. My boot camp program is put on hold. I'm missing work. And it's all coming out of my pocket unless they catch this guy.

So anyway. I need to find something else to take my mind off this.

Diet today.....epic fail

No comments:

Post a Comment