Weight Loss Tracker

Thursday, February 9, 2012

HCG Diet Negatives

Fist of all, I will tell you that this diet works, I don't care who you ask. For alot of people who have been dieting for years, up and down on the scale, this diet has been a lifesaver. Especially for the morbidly obese.
I, personally, take issue with some people using the diet as a quick fix. I'm talkin about people who have a whopping 10lb to lose. In my opinion, just my opinion, that is laziness. It kills me to hear someone say. Oooh I went from a size 4 to a 2. What the heck? I won't even feel a huge change in my clothes until the 2nd 30lbs. I'm sure of it.

Anyway, the diet does not come without issues. Some of my complaints are the following:

1. Extremely dry skin (this inspite of the gallon + water consumption during the day). This comes from the fact that you are consuming very little fat and not consuming good fats that the body needs. ie, vitamins E & A, nut oils, fatty fish oil. They say you can use mineral oil if you need to, but mineral oil or baby oil just sits on top of the skin, it does not penetrate it. I have found that the best use is to put in on, in the shower, while you are still wet. No, it doesn't penetrate, but rather holds the moisture from the shower in.

2. Dry hair. Since the original protocal doesn't want you to use conditioners that contain oil on top of not eating any good fats, I have noticed the texture of my hair change. This will remedy itself on the next phase when I can start adding healthy oils and get back to taking my omegas. Some people have even experienced hair loss. This is not specific to the HCG diet. Any extremely low fat/no fast diet will have the same side effect. You can take Biotin supplements to help with hair loss.

3. Headaches. I only noticed a slight headache on the 2nd and 3rd day of VLCD. This is mostly caused by sugar withdrawals. It went away and I haven't had one since.

4. Constipation. This is a rough one. Remember, you are eating so little, that it takes a few days to fill up your bowels and signal it to release. Some options to help are Smooth Move tea, manasul tea, magnesium, and if all else fails (and my favorite) epsom salt laxative. it's nasty tasting but will really get you moving.

5. Hunger. I only felt hunger the 1st day of the VLCD. But was it really hunger? I attribute it more to all the crap I ate the day before on the load. Greasy, cheesey, fried and fat filled food (plus bread, which is a no-no for me anyway)
I am doing the HCG Protocal with a licensed Physician. She has given me phendimetrazine to help with any hunger or lack of energy.

Phendimetrazine is a sympathomimetic amine, which is similar to an amphetamine. It is also known as an "anorectic" or "anorexigenic" drug. Phendimetrazine stimulates the central nervous system (nerves and brain), which increases your heart rate and blood pressure and decreases your appetite.

6. Inability to exercise: This is actually the most difficult area for me. I am not a lazy person, despite my weight. Diet and exercise just GO together. Like cheese and crackers. I want to work out so badly. I have walked or gotten on my elliptical machine. I have found that if I increase my protein calories equal to my calories burned during the session, it has worked for me. I just have to be careful with water retention after working out. The body retains water in order to assist with muscle reparation after working out. I noticed on my weight log that the day after I worked out, my weight did not change or it increased slightly.

7. Variety. The protocal is very restrictive in the variety of foods that you can consume. It does get rather boring if you are not the creative type. Thankfully, I am like a scientist in the kitchen. I enjoy coming up with new recipes and combinations. New ways to use the available food list. There is a wealth of information online. Google hcg phase 2 recipes and you will find hundreds of recipes. You can also look for low-carb recipes and modify them to the protocals perameters.

8. Phase 3- I made get some flack for this. I'm not even in Phase 3 yets, but the premise of it has me stressed already. On phase 3, you discontinue the HCG and increase your caloric intake to around 1500 calories. You can now add good fats. However, you must stay within your last injection day weight 2 pounds either way. This is what is known as the stabilization phase. THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS PLAN.  The purpose of the phase is to, basically, reset your hypothalmus to a new "set point". This means that you are telling your body that this is your new "normal weight". So it is crucial to follow it correctly.

The difficult part for me, and I'm sure others, will be that I have gotten this great weight loss, a jump start. I'm in the dieting mood now. But you are telling me that I can't lose anymore weight...WHAT?
So the brakes are being put on the weight loss. I'm not prepared for that. After Phase 3, you continue on to Life maintenance, or choose to do another round of HCG.

No comments:

Post a Comment